New York was the first state in the nation to pass a law that protects patients from Surprise Medical Bills. Our landmark law is working, but we need to fix some loopholes! Right now, the law protects you when you go to a hospital that is in your health insurance plan’s network (“in-network”) for surgery, but you get billed for an anesthesiologist or other doctor who is out-of-network with a high price tag. But the law doesn’t protect you from an out-of-network hospital emergency visit or ambulance ride. It also doesn’t protect you when your health plan or doctor incorrectly tells you that they are in-network. In those cases, patients are left holding the bag, getting billed sky-high prices.
We the Patients demand to be held harmless for ALL surprise bills.
- Inaccurate provider directories lead patients to schedule care with out-of-network doctors without knowing that they are going out-of-network and their bill won’t be covered.
- Ambulances are increasingly run by private companies that are often out-of-network. With no way to choose an in-network ambulance during an emergency, patients should be protected from the bill.
- You should have the right to dispute charges that come from the hospital, not just from the doctor who treated you.
How exactly will we do this?
- Don’t put patients in the middle. Bill disputes should be solely between hospitals and insurance companies for out-of-network hospital bills. Rather than sending bills to patients, these bills should go to “baseball” arbitration under the Surprise Bill law.
- Hold patients harmless for bills when they rely on health plan directories and providers who incorrectly tell them they are in-network. Health plans and providers must give patients accurate information. It is our health care!
- Require trips in the ambulance to be covered under New York’s Surprise Bill law.
Share Your Story
Email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Twitter: @wethepatients or #wearelosingourpatience
Need Help Now?
Email Community Health Advocates (CHA) or call (888) 614-5400.
Stop Surprise Bills, Sign The Petition!
Read the full petition here. This petition with your information will be shown to policy makers.